Friday, September 6, 2013

Chabatis and School

So, remember when I said I was going to catch up on things? Well, since that didn't happen then I'll take care of it now!
 
About a week ago my host mother and I made a type of flat bread called chabatis. They are very tasty and now, because of my helpful pictures, you can make them too!

I missed most of the preparation stage, but I believe that you simply combine water and flour and a little oil until a dough is formed.
 
 
Next sit on the floor of your kitchen and knead for about five minutes before dividing the dough  into several small balls. Squish each ball, then roll it out into a nice circle. You want it to be very thin so that it will cook evenly!
 
 
Turn the stove on to the lowest temperature and drizzle a little olive oil into a pan. 
 
 
Add a circle of dough and poke it while your host mother cracks up about how you can't turn on the stove.

 
Eventually you will get big bubbles, as shown in the picture about. Don't worry, this is normal!

 
Use a spoon to check for golden brown spots on the bottom. When there are a satisfactory number you can flip it over, but I don't recommend burning your fingers on the edge of the pan while doing so!

 
Once the other side has its fair number of spots you can place the completed chabati in a container or on a towel with the rest.

 
They are very tasty!

 
So, what else have I been up to? School! Here I am in my lovely uniform.

 
School has been really interesting. It seemed a little overwhelming at first, but I made some friends and have some really informative classes. It will probably take some more getting used to before I'm completely comfortable, but we're definitely getting there! 

4 comments:

  1. Now that looks like a part of a meal that you would really enjoy. Glad you host mom has finally realized you are a vegetarian.
    Love you much.
    OMA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. Great to see all the pictures and hear the commentary about the chabatis making!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look so... Un-Davanlike!!

    I am glad you're blogging about all of this. Such an amazing and exciting opportunity for you!

    ReplyDelete