Saturday, August 31, 2013

1 Week

Hello readers!
Well, I have officially been in the country of Oman for one whole week. It seems a little like I have lived here forever, but also a little like I only arrived yesterday. I suppose that is what life it like!
I have done so many amazing things this week I can't believe it. Lets see what I can fill you in on without the use of pictures (as wifi in Oman is a little spotty and I haven't been able to upload any yet).
For most of the first few days we did orientations. Most of them were actually very interesting, though some had already been gone over to the point of exhaustion at the PDO. A very exciting thing happened on my first day in Oman though, and that was meeting our host families! I live with a young woman and her husband and two year old daughter, though I haven't met my host father yet. They seem very nice and accommodating of the crazy American living in their spare room, for which I am very thankful!
On Wednesday we went on a tour of Muscat. I saw the grand mosque, mutrah souq and a museum of Omani history and culture. All were very interesting and I did actually take pictures but I have been unable to upload them as I mentioned before.
Yesterday we went to visit my host mother's family in here village. It was really great to meet my first few Omani teenagers and to see a different slice of life in Oman.
On Monday I'll start school, so stay tuned! (By the way, the week in Oman is Sunday-Thursday, but I am starting school on Monday in the same way the Americans might start school on a Tuesday)
Sorry about the short and jumpy post, but I better go take care of a couple things!

5 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you!! Can't wait to see the pictures and hear more about your host family.
    I want to know if you're going to have to wear traditional clothing and cover your head and/or face?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! A post! I'm excited for the pictures, but also understand the limitations. I particularly would love to see one of you dressed to go visit the family. Did you take one? If not - next time, okay? I know - demanding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of the countries I have been in over there have the weekend on Friday and Saturday too, except for Saudi. They have the weekend on Thursday and Friday just as we have it on Saturday and Sunday. Both those schedules makes the holy day the second day of the weekend. thanks for taking time to post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to catch up on your week, very busy I bet. Also saw your picture in the other girls blog, your looking very grown up! Guess that's what happens when you travel the world.
    love Tadku

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear UD! I left Muscat several months prior and had kept your site as my just weblink to Muscat...

    I am disillusioned that you are not there any longer and used to discover significant data and perspectives on your blog.

    I want you to enjoy all that life has to offer in your life and want to meet you one day, if predetermination chooses it.

    Travel Agencies In Muscat oman Travel agencies in al ghubrah!

    ReplyDelete