Sunday, August 25, 2013

Well, this seems to really be happening

I am in Oman! We stayed last night in a hotel in Muscat, which was wonderful after the 30 odd hours of travel it took for me to get here. My first impressions of the country:
             It says "Muscat".
  • It is really hot. And HUMID. I'm talking the camera lens fogged up when I tried to take a picture and my jeans stuck to my legs after about 30 seconds exposure.
  • It is SO pretty here! The building are beautiful, especially when I saw them in the dark last night.
  • The plugs are, indeed, different. Luckily I have an adapter and am, of course, brilliant so I figured it out. I even figured out how to put pictures on my computer! (Are you proud of me mom?)
  • There are a surprising number of trees, in this part of Muscat at least. There is plenty of desert stuff too, but when I look out the window of my hotel room I mostly see green. That's nice, as  Portland has lots of trees and I like seeing them.
Is this not the prettiest city you've ever seen?
 
Here I am with one of our first views of the city. Yep, I do look exhausted. I have reason, I promise!
 
 
Landing in Muscat!
 
Alright, hopefully I'll do a more coherent post later. For now I'm a little too tired for my words to sound good! We'll see how I do meeting my host family this evening.
 
Maa'salaama!

5 comments:

  1. Me too. I am so proud of you for finding this whole thing and then making it happen. So strong and so brave. Love you much. Hard to believe that now you are the one in the middle east.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Davan, congratulations! I am so excited for you!

    love, Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm visualizing a five year old in braids and a dress at a Girl Scout campout. And she wouldn't leave her mom's side for much.
    Do you have any idea who that might have been?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! Sounds like you are in for a wonderful adventure :)

    ReplyDelete